STATUARY ART AND ARCHITECTONIC DECORATIONS OF THE POLISH GENERAL NATIONAL EXIBITION IN POZNAŃ

JAROSŁAW MULCZYŃSKI

Within the rich presentation of the fine arts at the Polish General National Exhibition in Pozna┼ä one could also come across several models of statues located at the urban area of the Exhibition. Jerzy Warcha┼éowski, the first manager of the Fine Arts Department called for such kind of exposition of the statuary art in October 1927. The statues have been first assessed by jury and then completed. Groups of statues as well as the single figures were situated in order to mark some important spots of the Exhibition area, among them the model of ÔÇ×The Monument of The Airmen Killed in Action" /Pomnik Poleg┼éych Lotnik├│w/ by Edward Wittig - placed at the very centre of the park between Fine Arts Palace and Government's Palace. ÔÇ×The Sower" /Siewca/ by Marcin Ro┼╝ek was situated at the axis of the main entrance to the Exhibition, at G┼éogowska Street, behind two pylons, with the Upper Silesian Tower in the background. Other groups of statues were not as important as far as organizing the urban area of the Exhibition is concerned, they were only emphasizing the shape of particular pavilions. For example ÔÇ×The Harvester" /┼╗niwiarka/ by Edward Haupt was located in front of the Pavilion of Liquor Industry /on its axis/, ÔÇ×The Sower" /Siewca/ and ÔÇ×The Haymaker" /Kosiarz/ by Franciszek Kalfas were situated on both sides of the Pavilion of State Agricultural Bank. An example of a more elaborate function of the statue was ÔÇ×The Harvester" / ┼╗niwiarka/ by Stanis┼éaw Jackowski, placed in Wilson's Park /Park Wilsona/. Some pavilions were decorated with ornaments like bass-reliefs or mural paintings and less often with stained glass windows.