EVANGELIC SCHOOL FOR BOYS IN OLEŚNICA.
IDEOLOGICAL CONTENT OF THE SCHOOL BUILDING DECORATIONS

AGNIESZKA LISOWSKA

The modern school building in Oleśnica, holding approximately 100 pupils, was built in 1911-13. The shape of the neo-renaissance building was intended to refer to the tradition of a prince’s castle. The school fulfilled the educational requirements of that time, has a sport-banquet room, and physics and drawing classrooms with modern equipment. The building was very well lit thanks to large windows. The school courtyard, as well as an athletic field, also hosted a garden for botanical classes. The large edifice had a rich detail of symbols related to the building’s function, and also emphasising the relationship of the school and the city (coats of arms). The new extension to the building was completed in 1930. It was dedicated to a high school intended to educate employees of administration, trade and industry. This part was harmonised with the existing building.